Team structures are the new building blocks of any organization. This structure utilizes both permanent and temporary teams in order to gain success by using the right type of team at the right time. Team structures often utilize cross functional teams which are members of different departments coming together for a particular task. Team structures are used to break down the barriers between the different departments within the organization. Project teams are also utilized which are teams that are composed for a particular project and dispose when the project is finished. The purpose of team structures is to gather people quickly with the right skills and talents to get the project done. Team structures are also used to bring people together to solve a problem.
· Eliminate difficulties with communication
· Barriers are broken down between departments
· Boost morale, greater sense of involvement
· Increase quality of decisions
* Team performance is valued over individual performance
* Participants do not get recognition for their individual performance
* Decentralization of team structures is a disadvantage, because decentralization can lead to coordination and control problems for management